Dear Family & Friends: We are having so many new and exciting adventures to tell you about. We get up around 5:45am and go as fast as we can until bedtime, learning our new responsibilities and having a peek at this BEAUTIFUL country. We hope in this blog we can express how blessed we are to testify of Jesus Christ and serve Him in this amazing corner of the world! HAERE MAI* to our blog, we're glad you are visiting us!.....(*This means 'WELCOME' in the Maori language)

Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Day with the Pferdners

One Saturday a few weeks ago we had a delightful day seeing some beautiful sights with our friends Elder and Sister Pferdner:
 After a beautiful drive along the Pacific Ocean coast, our first stop was a little village called Matakana.  We are told that most towns and villages have a farmer's market either on Saturday or Sunday.  This one was small and quaint with music, food and lots of interesting items for sale.  Some of the little produce stands were just individuals who pulled what they had from their garden that morning to sell.  This vendor had the most interesting items to sell.  Anyone interested in fresh buffalo milk, cheese or ice cream???  We were curious about how one milks a buffalo!  (Excuse the poor quality of the photos in this post.  I only had my point & shoot with me.......I'll never make that mistake 
again!)

A ways up the coast we made our next stop.  I don't know what these birds are, but the trees were filled with their nests.  Can you see the babies?

We enjoyed the views of this beautiful bay and Goat Island.  They say the snorkeling here is fabulous.

Our next stop was at Mahurangi Park.  There were beautiful views in all directions.

Another one of those beautiful views.

A Pohutukawa Tree, sometimes called the New Zealand Christmas tree, because at Christmas time it is covered with big beautiful red flowers.

Another beautiful beach.  That day I lost track of how many beautiful beaches we saw!


I've saved the best for last.   This was the last place we visited and the most memorable experience of the day.  We were walking along this most pristine beach, picking up seashells and talking about how beautiful and peaceful it was, when we glanced up to see a pod of between 15 to 20 dolphins jumping, playing and generally frolicking just a few yards from shore.  They entertained us for quite a while before deciding the show was over and making their way on down the coast.  This was such an awesome sight!!  I was really upset that I didn't have my big camera and telephoto lens with me.  This was the best I could do with the point & shoot.  Thanks Jack & Joanie for a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. you have truly landed in a piece of heaven on earth. what a beautiful place. my friend visited New zealand a couple of years ago and has not stopped singing it's praises since

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to see posts from you again. Even your point and shoot camera can't take such lovely photos without a great photographer to set up the scene. Tell Jack and Joanie hello from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours in the water are magic. It is a quiet and peaceful countryside all over. We were surprised at how far you can drive without seeing another car. You've got me worried now. My CanonDSLR has decided to malfunction so I am going to take my point and shoot to USA. At least it will be easy to pack. I know that I'll miss my wide angle lens and tele photo. However, your pics still look good so here's hoping mine turn out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I've missed seeing your beautiful photos, Karen!! I am so happy to see you posting again. I have been so wrapped up in the new grandbaby and squeezing in every ounce of lovin' on the one who will be two next month that I have been remiss in keeping up! I will enjoy looking back to catch myself up!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete