Dear Family & Friends: We are having so many new and exciting adventures to tell you about. We get up around 5:45am and go as fast as we can until bedtime, learning our new responsibilities and having a peek at this BEAUTIFUL country. We hope in this blog we can express how blessed we are to testify of Jesus Christ and serve Him in this amazing corner of the world! HAERE MAI* to our blog, we're glad you are visiting us!.....(*This means 'WELCOME' in the Maori language)

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sad Story

One Saturday we were visiting a museum and I noticed this scruffy looking man wandering around by himself.  He didn't seem to be in a hurry, and spent a lot of time talking with the museum employees.  At one time we were looking at the same exhibit and having a nice conversation with an employee who asked where we were from.  When we said Utah, this man overheard us and said, "My daughter and grandchildren live in Utah, in West Valley City."  When I asked how she ended up in Utah he told us she had met a Mormon missionary years ago, joined the church, married him and then moved to Utah.  Not knowing whether or not he was negative about all this, I tried to think of something understanding to say, which came out, "I bet it's hard to have your grandchildren living so far away."  I was half expecting an angry response but was surprised at his ambivalence when he said,  "No, not really.  They come to visit once in a while but I'm not much into kids anyway."  Isn't that sad?  Not only does he not have a relationship with his grandchildren, but he doesn't care to have one.  When we told him we were Mormon missionaries he didn't respond, but was agreeable when I asked if I could take his picture.  I wanted his photo as a reminder of how blessed we are to know and cherish what is truly important in our lives, because there are people who think they are poor, yet fail to realize they have the greatest treasure on earth! 

5 comments:

  1. Great shot and very interesting, and as you said somewhat sad, story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Did you get his kid's name and address so you could let them know that grandpa's photo is on your blog and they could follow your blog to share the joys of New Zealand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very astute observation, Karen. Very, very sad. Great photo though!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad. I don't know what I would do without my children. Will and the kids are my world, and I would be miserable without them. How sad it is for his daughter whom I'm sure knows on some level how her father feels. How sad it is to be rejected by a parent. Speaking from experience with Will, it is so hard to see someone you love be rejected by a parent, or even just tolerated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad, but unfortunately not that uncommon nowadays. A lot of people don't have time to be bothered with children and that's probably why the world has lost so much innocence, charity, and love.

    ReplyDelete